We have offered UK-leading expertise on sustainability for over 20 years.
Sustainability is about recognising the interconnections between society, the environment and the economy. It is about utilising holistic approaches to decision-making that enable equitable improvements to people’s quality of life whilst respecting environmental limits.
We work with organisations to help embed the principles of sustainability into policy, programmes, projects and practice. We have worked with national governments, public agencies, local authorities, NGOs, social housing providers and others to provide sustainability thinking and services.
What we offer:
- Sustainability in planning: we can provide research and advice on all aspects of sustainability in planning, from low carbon building to climate adaptation. We have expertise in sustainability appraisal and support local authorities, communities developing neighbourhood plans and others to appraise plans and policies.
- Building capacity for sustainability: we offer a wide range of services to help embed sustainability at a corporate level. We provide training to communities, staff, to politicians and to senior decision-makers on all aspects of sustainability. We also deliver and advice to organisations on systematic approaches to mainstreaming sustainability at an organisational level.
- Measuring sustainability: we can provide research and advice on measuring sustainability. We recently undertook a project for the London Sustainable Development Commission to produce a quality of life indicators report measuring London’s quality of life and have a strong track record on sustainability indicators development.
- Sustainability appraisal: we are highly experienced sustainability appraisal practitioners.
Examples of our recent work:
- London’s Quality of Life Indicators 2012 report, for the London Sustainable Development Commission (2013)
- Standard Life Environment and Sustainability Strategy Review, for Standard Life (2013)
- Climate change training for planners, for various Regional Improvement & Efficiency Partnerships (2011-2012)
- Capability for Local Sustainability, for the Sustainable Development Commission (2008)
- Supporting Neighbourhood Plans – sustainability appraisal training, for the CPRE (2013)
- Sustainability appraisal of packages of sites for South Cambridgeshire Local Plan, with Environ (2013)
- Sustainability appraisal of Lambeth Core Strategy, for London Borough of Lambeth, with Environ (2008-2014)
- Piloting of Government Buying Standards for Food and Catering Services, for Defra (2012)
- ‘Measurement of Sustainable Procurement’ report, for East Midlands Development Agency (2009)
- National guidance on sustainability in relation to school food procurement and catering, for School Food Trust (2008)